Monday, July 11, 2011

Not Your Average Movie Theater

I couldn't wait to get to Austin and get out & explore!   I wanted to see the lakes, walk on the trails, cross countless bridges throughout the city and soak in the outdoor life.  So, you could imagine my confusion when the husband says, "I thought we could go to a movie."  A movie?  Didn't we do that enough in California?  Now don't get me wrong, I love a good flick, but to be honest the older I get the harder it is for me to sit still for 2 hours.  I'm at the point where kids movies are starting to cut it close.   I just turn into a wiggle worm and I think of 80 million things I could be doing other than sitting still.  But what the heck!  It's been far too long without my husband in my life and if he thinks a movie is the perfect idea I simply go with the flow.

We show up for a family viewing of CARS 2 at Alamo Drafthouse.  Perhaps you've heard of it, but never ventured out for your own experience.  Well, let me just tell you, you're missing out...BIG TIME!  Maybe you've gone and hopefully you'll agree that it's quite possibly the best movie theater EVER!


Alamo Drafthouse is a movie theater that serves food and drinks to your seat while you enjoy your show.  The waiters are like stealth ninjas who never disrupt your movie, they just make sure you have what you need when you need it.  All seats have a long counter like table in front of them for you to comfortably eat without having to adjust too much in your seat.  They have an extensive menu of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, burgers, pizzas & even some large dinner meals such as fish or chicken.  Not to mention a HUGE list of beers, wine & mixed drinks.  You want just some good 'ol buttery popcorn?  Not a problem, they've got that too!  But don't think you can cruise in and play on your phone, text your friends about how great the place is, or pick up a call from your great Aunt Edna.  Phones, texting & talking is strictly prohibited at this joint!  Now this was a movie I could sit through, enjoy, and leave with a full belly.


Our nine-year old was thrilled to snack on pizza, fresh made lemonade, and her own stash of sour patch kids.  The husband and I ordered appetizers: chips & queso with green chilies (YUM) and potato skins (my pick of course).  We were going to order a meal to share until they delivered our daughters "kids" pizza which had 8 slices!  Score.  Enough for the entire family.  We had more than enough food, candy & 2 beers for the lovely paying adults & we ended up getting out of there for under $40.  That rarely even happens in a restaurant.  General admission is $9.50, and considering a boring regular movie theater charges that, if not more, I find it to be a decent price.  

As if that wasn't enough to convince you to try the Drafthouse they offer special screenings and themed events.  For example, if you want a girls night out and don't want to bother with the fuss of dressing up to hit the club, Drafthouse hosts a slumber party Girlie Night with special showing of Troop Beverly Hills.  You in the mood to sing, but your favorite karaoke bar is packed to the brim? Head over to Sing Along night at the Drafthouse where you can rock out at the Ultimate Rock Sing Along.  That's right!  Big hair, tight jeans & Drafthouse will supply the tunes and inflatable guitars of course.  Or are you like me, a complete sucker for the movie Grease.  Fluff up your poodle skirt and join Drafthouse for the Grease Sing Along complete with candy smokes & a plastic comb to make sure you're looking your best.  The fun never ends!  They offer so much more than your average movie theater.  One of the best perks for me, as a work from home mom, is the Drafthouse's Summer Kids Camp.  They offer a variety of kids movies at matinee times for F-R-E-E!!  It's great to know that I can get out for a few hours with the nugget to enjoy a movie and not worry about breaking the bank every time she gets bored in the house.  Thank you Alamo Drafthouse!!

So if you haven't tried, maybe now you will.  And if you've enjoyed Drafthouse like I have hopefully you'll be back for more!  (I know I will!)  They have several locations throughout Austin, and even a few in Houston and San Antonio.  Check out their website for all the gory details.  There's something for everyone, guaranteed!!

www.drafthouse.com

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like so much fun! I need to come visit when they have the Grease sing a long!!!

    ReplyDelete